
As March 5, the day Jim & I met Will’s birthparents for the 1st time (T&T) approaches, I find myself reflecting back on that day. I feel led to share a little bit of Will’s adoption journey.
It was a normal late February day at work when the agency called to say there was someone special that wanted to meet us! I was so excited that I could barely work the rest of the day! I just kept thinking of what I would say to this special person, would she like me, would we have anything in common, would we connect & bond like I was so praying we would. The week leading up to the meeting was torture. I could not sleep and I was constantly praying for her (sorry to my friends that I was not praying for you during this time. T took up my whole conversation with God!)
March 5th slowly came and off Jim & I were to Boone. As you all know Jim is a planner, so we planned an extra hour of travel time and had several maps in the car! Of course, God decided to show his sense of humor and have the road into Boone closed down! I pretty much thought I was going to be sick when the detour was taking us an hour out of the way! There went our planning. I looked over at Jim and said “Surely she won’t pick us to raise her child when we can’t even be on time!” Jim just smiled and tried to stay calm, even though he was driving like Tom (Mario Andretti) Harris through the mountains. The agency must have felt our panic as I feel we called them every 10 minutes to give them the update to where we were and how much longer we had to the meeting place.
We finally arrived! T&T sat at the table patiently waiting for us. We had great conversation and they asked us lots of questions. I was so proud of myself for not crying (for those of you who know me best know that is an impossible feat!) as I answered questions and let them get to know us. The most magical moment of all was when T&T told us they wanted us to parent their child and that it was a BOY! I almost leapt across the table to hug them, but I restrained myself (surprised I know! I am such the hugger!) They asked us to name him, and T seemed thrilled that this little precious boy would be called William Thomas.
We all started to get up to say our good-byes and “see you soon”. I shook T&T hand across the table, but then T walked over and gave me a big hug. This has to be one of my top hugs of all time! Looking so beautiful in her pink shirt with her blond hair and blue eyes, she showed me God’s love and grace! She continues to this day to be an inspiration in my life and I strive to be the mother she wants me to be to our precious Will.
I pray that as she reflects back on March 5th and feels the same love and affection that I have for this day.
No comments:
Post a Comment